Postdoctoral Research Associate in Dynamical Systems
School of Mathematics and Statistics
The University of Sydney
Reference No. 2515/1217
Closing date: 29 Jan 2018 (late applications may be considered)
• Level A, full time, fixed term for 2.5 years;
• Remuneration: $92,682 p.a. (which includes leave loading and up to 17% superannuation).
Applications are sought for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position in Dynamical Systems and Complex Systems. This position is funded by an Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project Grant “Mathematical model reduction for complex networks” held by Georg Gottwald. Teaching is not a requirement however opportunities to teach may be available if desired.
Complex networks of coupled oscillators are used to model systems from pacemaker cells to power grids. Given their sheer size we need methods to reduce the complexity while retaining the essential dynamical information. We will develop new mathematical methodology to describe the collective behaviour of large but finite networks of oscillators with only a few parameters which we call ``collective coordinates”. The mathematical toolset will include analytical and numerical methods from dynamical systems theory and complex systems theory.
To qualify for this position, the candidate will need to demonstrate:
• a PhD in a relevant area;
• expertise in dynamical systems theory and nonlinear dynamics with programming skills;
• demonstrated ability to conduct high-quality research under limited supervision either independently or as part of a research team;
• published research as sole author or in collaboration;
• excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• it is desirable, but not required that you have had prior exposure to complex networks and/or synchronization.
The position is full-time fixed-term for two and a half years, subject to completion of a satisfactory probation and confirmation period for new appointees.
To be considered for this position it is essential that you address the selection criteria.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://sydney.edu.au/recruitment ; click on “search for current roles” on the right hand side and search for 2515/1217 (will be online before Christmas, I hope)
For specific academic enquires please contact Georg Gottwald at email@example.com. For generic enquiries please contact the Head of School, Professor Jacqui Ramagge at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: 29 Jan 2018 (11.30pm Sydney time) (late applications may be considered)